Sunday, March 3, 2013

Recipe: Raspberry Pink Lemonade Cupcakes w/Lemon Raspberry Buttercream

For my other delightful recipe this Sunday, I have decided to give you my latest cupcake creation. If you haven't noticed yet, I love cupcakes. They are so easy to manipulate and change into wonderful culinary creations. I actually have my good friend Carleigh Salmon to thank for my love of cupcakes. Before working along side her as a culinary teacher I actually loathed them. And now I can't get enough. (You know I get the sense I have shared this before. Oh well, if I have you get to hear it again, and if I haven't then forget I said this last part).


At the current time I don't make too many cakes from scratch. I much prefer to manipulate a cake mix and make my frosting from scratch. This allows me more time to be creative--plus it tastes just as good really!

Raspberry Pink Lemonade Cupcakes

1 Pillsbury Classic Yellow Cake Mix
1/4 Cup Flour
2 Scoops of Countrytime Pink Lemonade
1/2 Cup of Fresh Raspberries
1/3 Cup Oil
3 Eggs
1 Cup of Water

In a large glass combine the water and both scoops of Pink Lemonade and mix until all the lemonade has dissolved. Then add the raspberries and smash them a little to help the raspberries infuse the lemonade. Set aside for at least 45 minutes. In large bowl combine cake mix, oil, eggs, and the lemonade mixture (instead of water), then add in the 1/4 cup of flour. Mix together but remember you have raspberries in there so don't smash them all. You don't want to mix these cupcakes using a mixer because you will destroy the raspberries.

Place in cupcake liners about 3/4 of the way up and cook according to directions on the box, until the cupcakes spring when touched or a toothpick comes out clean. Once cupcakes are done remove them from the pan and place on a cooling rack.

While cupcakes are cooling make Buttercream.

Lemon Raspberry Buttercream

1 Cup Butter Softened of 2 Sticks of Butter
1 Cup Shortening
1/2 Cup Fresh Raspberries
2 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar
2 tsp. Lemon Extract

In a stand mixer or using a hand mixer, mix together both the butter and the shortening until they are both creamed together. Then add half of the Lemon Extract and 1/2 a cup of powdered sugar and combine completely. Scrape side of bowl and add fresh raspberries and another 1/2 cup of powdered sugar, again until sugar is completely combined. Now add the other teaspoon of Lemon Extract and another 1/2 cup of powdered sugar and fully combined. Continue to add powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time until the buttercream reaches the desired sweetness and thickness. Tip: the humidity and heat in your house will determine how much powdered sugar you will have to add. You want the buttercream to be thick enough so that it does not fall of a spoon, but not so thick you can't pipe it. 

Once cupcakes have cooled top with buttercream. You can do this however you want. I just place mine in a zip-loc bag and cut off the tip in order to pipe it on my cupcakes. Then top with a fresh raspberry and serve.

These are my new favorite cupcakes and I am pretty sure I devoured about 5 of them. In fact I ate one for breakfast the next morning, but don't tell anyone! Also, these cupcakes taste great without any frosting at all. In fact they sort of look like a muffin when they first come out of the oven.

So there you have it another cupcake creation. What do you think? Devourable?

"Devouring worlds, one book and recipe at a time."

2 comments:

  1. I'm just impressed you make any of it by scratch! It's the boxed stuff for me when it comes to baked goods. These sound absolutely delicious :D Jaclyn @ JC's Book Haven

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only recently started getting into baking. Before I was strictly only a cook and not a baker. I think the box stuff works just fine, half the time you can't taste the difference anyways! Thanks Jaclyn!

      Delete