Sunday, March 3, 2013

Recipe: Fried Meatballs

Sorry it has been so long since I last posted a recipe. I often get so caught up in my books and cooking that I forget that just because I cooked it doesn't mean you get the recipe. I actually have to post it in order for that to happen. Wish it wasn't that way, but it is and until someone invents a way for my recipe's to go from my mind to my blog without me having to type it then you will have to wait for me to remember to do so.

So to reward you for your culinary patience I have decided to post two recipes today! The first will be this one, Fried Meatballs and the other one will be my latest cupcake creation--Raspberry Pink Lemonade Cupcakes with a Lemon Raspberry Buttercream. So sit back and drool a little, then go out and make these recipes.



The other day I was watching one of my favorite shows, Diner's Drive-In's and Dive's when the idea hit me to make Fried Meatballs. And no I don't mean a plain meatball pan fried, I mean a meatball that has been breaded then fried. I have been told that I am weird. And I all I have to say is that if this recipe makes me weird then so be it. Bring it on and I will proudly let me freak flag fly. And so will you once you try this. Promise it is to die for! It would make perfect bar food! Just saying. So on with on it.

Now I do have to warn you the recipe below is rather large and as it turns out can probably feed an army. So if you are not feeding an army then I recommend cutting the recipe down. If not, then you can just freeze them for a quick dinner or snack at another time, that is what I did.

Fried Meatballs

Yield: ~50 Golf Ball Sized Meatballs

3 lbs. Ground Hamburger
1/2 Large Onion Diced
2 Cloves of Garlic, Minced
2  Tbsp. Season Salt
2 Tbsp. Ranch Powder
1 Tbsp. Dried Basil
1 Tbsp. Dried Oregano
2 Eggs
1 15 oz. Container of Part Skim Ricotta Cheese

Breading:
2 8 oz. Packages of Italian Panko Bread Crumbs (Or Plain if you prefer to season yourself)
8 Eggs, Beaten

Canola Oil for Frying

In a large skillet heat up ~2 cups of canola oil over medium heat. You want enough oil to come half way up the meatballs or enough oil to fill up half the pan. While oil is heating. In a large bowl combine all of the above ingredients (with your hands) just until the ingredients have come together. You don't want to over mix the meat because it can make your meatball's tough. Form meatballs, I wanted them large so I made them about the size of a golf ball. Once your meatballs have been rolled, prepare your breading in shallow pans. This breading is just like the breading for a chicken. Set up one pan with 1 package of panko bread crumbs, 1 with eggs and the other with the other package of panko. Then place a meatball in the first pan of panko and roll until coated. Roll in egg, completely coating it and then place in next pan of panko again completely coating it. Repeat the process until all the meatballs are breaded. 

By this point the oil should be hot, to test it just place a pinch of bread crumbs in, if they rise to the top and bubble then the oil is ready. Place meatballs in the oil, being careful not to crowd the pan. Cook until you see  that the bottom is a golden brown, approximately 4-5 minutes. Turn over and brown the other side. Cook about the same amount of time. Remove from oil and place on a couple of paper towels in order to absorb some of the oil. Repeat until all meatballs are cooked.

Serve them with your favorite homemade or store bought marinara sauce and a couple slices of toasted crostini or garlic bread. Bon Appetit!

*You know what would be fun.....adding a small piece of mozzarella in the middle of the meatball....YUM! I am so doing that next time!

So what do you think? Sound like something you would be daring enough to try? Let me know what you think!

"Devouring worlds, one book and recipe at a time."

No comments:

Post a Comment