Thursday, February 28, 2013

Review: Don't Fear the Reaper (Netherworld #1) by Michelle Muto


Don't Fear the Reaper (Netherworld, #1)
*Synopsis and Cover from Goodreads

Synopsis
Grief-stricken by the murder of her twin, Keely Morrison is convinced suicide is her ticket to eternal peace and a chance to reunite with her sister. When Keely succeeds in taking her own life, she discovers death isn’t at all what she expected. Instead, she’s trapped in a netherworld on Earth and her only hope for reconnecting with her sister and navigating the afterlife is a bounty-hunting reaper and a sardonic, possibly unscrupulous, demon. But when the demon offers Keely her greatest temptation—revenge on her sister’s murderer—she must uncover his motives and determine who she can trust. Because, as Keely soon learns, both reaper and demon are keeping secrets and she fears the worst is true—that her every decision will change how, and with whom, she spends eternity.


*Won a copy of this book from the author and Bookworm Babblings

Helpful Links: Goodreads | Amazon | Smashwords

My Review: 5 Must Devour!!!!!

After committing suicide with the hopes of reuniting with her dead twin sister Keely discovers that being dead isn't so easy. And neither is finding her sister. As she struggles with the loss of her own life Keely is forced to stay on Earth with no one but a reaper and a demon for company. Eternal happiness for more than Keely is on the line when she discovers that in order to move on from her Earthbound hell she has to face an ugly truth that will have her facing her fears and fighting for more than just her afterlife.

As soon as I started Don't Fear the Reaper I knew it was going to be awesome. The first chapter left me completely breathless, on the edge of my seat and biting my nails because from the minute Keely graced the page I felt connected to her. Her pain and anguish were so real that I felt it through Michelle Muto's words. 

And I fell even more in love with Keely throughout the book. I was happy to find a kind girl with a large heart under all the pain and sorrow and I was also happy to see that she wasn't the kind of girl to run away. No matter how afraid she was if her friends needed her she was there. Even for those she wasn't sure she could quite trust. And in the end despite knowing what was going to happen, I was happy to see Keely step up to the plate. 

Luckily for Keely, in her Earthbound purgatory she has friends. Well, the closest thing she can get to friends. Banning, a reaper--the reaper who took her soul--who is like a protective older brother and Daniel the demon with a conscious. And I loved them. They reminded me of brothers and they often bickered like brothers. Daniel provided that needed bit of sarcasm and humor throughout the story helping to remind me that even in death their can be a bright side. Banning is one of those characters that I just can't help but feel for. The losses and struggles that he endures make you route for a happy ending. Both of these side characters are strong and fierce warriors and are completely loyal. The trick is just finding out who they are loyal to. (Psst, I know, but I won't tell you). I know that if I were ever in purgatory I wouldn't mind having them at my side. Seriously I don't think there would ever be a dull moment!

I truly enjoyed the story that Michelle Muto weaved in Don't Fear the Reaper. She gave me just enough details and information to allow my imagination to run wild. And I was completely fascinated by her idea of the demon. I appreciated her different take on both the demon and the reaper and I thought it really brought fresh air to the whole realm of reapers. I highly recommend this book to anyone looking to be swept up in a story that will leave you breathless and wanting more. Bring on the next adventure in the Netherworld Series!!!

Favorite Character Moment:

"My school's better than yours," Jordan replied, her voice quivering.
"My school's cooler, though." (kindle, 3795).
There are a number of reasons I chose this as my favorite moment in the book. Unfortunately I really can't get into any of those reasons here because that would give some things away, so you are just going to have to read it to find out why I love this moment so much! Sorry I know I am a tease. But you should read the book anyway.

"Devouring worlds, one book and recipe at a time."

No comments:

Post a Comment