Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Multiple Series Love?

Okay, so yesterday on Top Ten Tuesday we listed out the authors that we would buy anything from, even a roll a toilet paper. Okay maybe not toilet paper, but maybe if they wrote a book on it. Anyway, after writing my list I got to thinking about how many authors I love, but don't seem to love all their work. (You can check that list out here: Auto Buy Authors).

You know those authors that produce an amazing series with characters you absolutely love and adore, but you just can't find the love for their other work? Yeah those authors. That's what I want to talk about.



Do you have any authors that you love, but have a hard time getting into their other work? I know I do. First let me reiterate the fact that I love these authors and would buy anything from them in regards to that series or those specific characters I just don't seem to like everything they write. You know that whole can't please everyone. Yeah well that.

And yesterday I got to thinking why? Why is it that I love their one series and not their others?

Well of course I have some theories.

First I noticed with these authors the series I love is usually a long series, meaning more than ten books. Second, the series is based on one central character. And third, their other series is usually completely different than the series that made me fall in love with them in the first place. (Now I think I need to mention here that I have yet to find this problem in any YA or Fantasy, Paranormal or the likes). Those of you who read suspense, thriller, or mystery novels will know what I am talking about. A series in this genre has a tendency to last a long time and the story is not continuous.

I love characters, if you haven't already noticed. A great book has to have good characters. And whenever I read a book I get attached to the characters. Every. Single. Time. But in my experience once I dive into a series, especially one that is long, I get ultra attached to the characters, the story and the way it is written. And I have a really hard time letting that go and immersing myself in other great works by the author.

I know it is probably all in my head, but I have talked to other people about this and realized that I am not alone! Other's have this problem. But I noticed that usually it only occurs when one get's attached to a long series.

So, has this happened to you? Do you fall in love with one series by an author and find it hard to fall in love with another series by the same author? Or are you one of those lucky people who will love anything by that author no matter what?

Do you get so attached to a series and its characters that you have a hard time letting go? Have you ever forced yourself to read something just because it is by an author you love so much?

I would love to hear your thoughts on this....plus I would love to know that I am not alone here!!

"Devouring worlds, one book and recipe at a time."

No comments:

Post a Comment