Sunday, October 28, 2012

Southwest Chicken Jalapeno Cheddar Wrap w/Creamy Avocado Ranch and Cilantro Pesto

Okay, so the other night I came up with this idea for an avocado, ranch cream cheese spread and I couldn't get it out of my head. The problem: it was already after 1 a.m., and though I sleep little I do need some sleep to function and not be a total B all day. So I had to file the thought away for the following day. Problem 2: the idea taunted me in my sleep. Avocados dressed in cream cheese danced through my dreams. Okay, so maybe not quite so literal, but either way, I woke up thinking about that spread. So naturally I decided that we were going to have it for dinner. Here comes problem 3: I had absolutely no idea what to use the spread on. Lucky for me, it was only 8 or 9 in the morning so I still had time to come up with one.



As the day went on the spread continued to beckon me, daring me to make it, and make it with chicken. I answered that call, and decided what better way to enjoy a spread than on a sandwich? But then I thought, ooohhh, what about a wrap? And with that idea I was at the store where I purchased jalapeno cheddar wraps, I know sounds awesome right?! Well they are!

Upon my arrival home I realized I still hadn't decided what to do with the chicken. I mean, you can't just have plain chicken. Cause that would be boring, and boring sucks! And then it hit me! A marinade. And not just any marinade, a marinade with jalapeno juice, lemon juice, garlic, and fajita seasoning. It was good, trust me! While the chicken was marinating I decided that I really wanted to make this cilantro pesto that I had made about a month ago. Although I wasn't sure how I was going to use it, I just knew that I had to make it. The idea for how to use it would come to me later.

And it did! Once I was done making the pesto I decided to add some of it to the spread I had been dreaming about and use the leftover to baste the chicken with.

Just looking at this picture helps me remember how that chicken tasted! *Wipe your mouth, you have a little drool*

So, anyways, once everything was done and I was certain I had reached the trifecta I set about making the wraps, and this is what they looked like.


Recipes: 

Marinade:
1/4 cup jalapeno juice
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
2 Tbsp. fajita seasoning
1/4 cup lemon juice
4 chicken breasts

This one is easy, just put all the ingredients in a gallon size bag and shake it to ensure that all the chicken is coated. Place in the fridge and marinade for at least 30 minutes, but the longer you marinade it the more the flavor will infuse into the chicken. Once chicken is done marinating, grill chicken until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees, baste with pesto for the last 5 minutes of cooking. Let chicken cool 5 to 10 minutes then slice, into strips.

Cilantro Pesto:
2 cups cilantro
1/2 Tbsp. minced garlic
1/4 cup chopped jalapenos (can be fresh or jarred)
1/8 cup chopped pecans
3 Tbsp. olive oil
3 Tbsp. lime juice

In food processor or blender blend together cilantro, garlic, jalapenos, pecans and lime juice. After most of the ingredients are chopped and a paste is forming drizzle in the olive oil, best if drizzled in while blender or processor is on. Should be thick but it should still flow off a spoon.

Spread:
1 8oz. pacakage cream cheese softened
1/ 2 avocado
1 Tbsp. ranch powder
3 Tbsp. cilantro pesto

In a mixer, I have a stand mixer, but you can use a hand mixer if you don't have one; cream the cream cheese and then add avocado, mix until combined. Then incorporate the ranch powder. Mix in the pesto until combined.

To make the wraps first heat up the wrap in skillet or microwave according to instructions on package. Once wrap is heated spread about a tablespoon of the spread in the middle of the wrap, then place a piece or two of romaine lettuce, some sliced red onion, and a couple slices of tomato, followed by the chicken, then top it off with a slice of pepper jack or provolone cheese. (Of course you can use any cheese you want, but I prefer these.) Then wrap! It really is that easy!

But that leads me to my final problem. Problem 4: I can't think of a name for this recipe to save my life!

So here is your challenge: Help me name this recipe by leaving your recipe title in the comments, or vote for one by stating your choice in the comment section below, make sure to leave your name so I know who to give credit to! Or you can go to my Facebook page and vote there: Random Thoughts and Weirdness Facebook, contest closes November 4th at 5pm Mountain time. 
The winner will get recognition on the blog and Facebook!

2 comments:

  1. Creamy Ranch, Jalepeno Infused Chicken Wrap :) Your title is easier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffany,

    I actually like your name! Mine might be easier, but yours sounds more professional! Nice!! Thanks for participating :)

    ReplyDelete