Friday, January 4, 2013

Southwestern Beans


Well ladies and germs, welcome to 2013!! This year has already been crazy busy and the kids and I haven't even gone back to school yet!! Oh well, it wouldn't be my life if there wasn't a little crazy in it! After all I do thrive in chaos.

Anyway, earlier today I asked my lovely Facebook friends whether or not the first recipe I posted on the blog should be sweet or savory......and guess what? Savory won!! Oh, you guessed that already! Duh, guess the picture kind of gives it away :) Since savory won out and it is the first recipe of the year I have decided to go with a recipe that is very simple, yet very delicious.

Recently I made this recipe for some family that I had visiting and I really have to tell you that when I first began this recipe my sister and step-mom thought I was out of my mind! You see the first step to making these lovely beans is to rinse two 15 oz. cans of Ranch Style Beans. Hehe....I bet you can see where this is going. I could tell they were all thinking why even use those kind of beans if you are just going to rinse them, well the answer to that would be: 1) I only buy things that I can use in multiple ways in order to keep down my food bill; and 2) even though you rinse them they still maintain some of their flavor.

After I committed the cardinal sin of rinsing my beans I finished making the recipe and I am proud to say that everyone thoroughly enjoyed them!!

Southwestern Beans
Yield: 9-10 ppl    Cook Time: 10 minutes

2 15 oz. Cans of Ranch Style Beans Rinsed
1 tsp. Kosher Salt
2 tsp. Minced Garlic
1/4. Cup Chopped Pickled Jalapenos
1/4 Cup Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth
*For extra spice can add a couple of Tablespoons of jalapeno juice
*Could also add onion

Place rinsed beans in a medium sauce pan and place over medium heat. While beans are heating add garlic, and salt and jalapenos. Once you hear the beans begin to sizzle add the chicken broth. Allow to cook until beans come up to temperature. If you are looking for a runnier bean you can always add more chicken broth, but I like to make my a little drier.

And there you have folks, very simple, yet very delicious beans that I promise will disappear faster than you can even make them!!

"Devouring worlds, one book and recipe at a time."


No comments:

Post a Comment