Monday, January 14, 2013

Review: Blood Skies by Steven Montano

*Cover and Synopsis from Goodreads
Synopsis

In the time after The Black, human survivors of the Southern Claw Alliance clash with vampire legions of the Ebon Cities in a constant war for survival. Earth as we know it has been forever damaged by an arcane storm that fused our world with distant realms of madness and terror. Things that once existed only in our nightmares stalk the earth.

Now, humanity is threatened by one of its own.

Eric Cross, an enlisted warlock in the Southern Claw military, is part of an elite team of soldiers and mages in pursuit of a woman known as Red -- a witch whose stolen knowledge threatens the future of the human race. The members of Viper Squad will traverse haunted forests and blighted tundra in their search for the traitor, a journey that ultimately leads them to the necropolis of Koth.

There, in that haven of renegade undead, Cross will discover the dark origins of magic, and the true meaning of sacrifice...

Experience a dark and deadly new world in the debut novel of the "Blood Skies" series from author Steven Montano.

Helpful Links: Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes and Noble

My Review: 3.5 Up to Snuff
I wanted to love this book so much, unfortunately our relationship did not grow to love, and by the time the book was finished I was more confused about where I stood. I mean I loved parts of the book, liked parts of the book and disliked parts of the book.

Let's start with what I loved. I absolutely loved Steven Montano's completely unique take on the vampire. We are definitely not in Kansas anymore Todo!! These vampires are far from the vamps that girls dream of dating. They don't sparkle, they don't have a soft side and they most certainly will not hesitate to rip your head off. Steven Montano brings vampires back to the dark side, and I have to say that I like it! But I would have loved to have more of them.

And his witches and wizards bring a whole new layer of complexity to what is one of my favorite supernatural beings, won't go into any details here, but let's just say that he brings a new meaning to the word soul-mate!

Everything about this book was new and different, as the world was literally built from the ground up, which I liked, but I also disliked. Though it was incredibly descriptive, at times I found it to be too descriptive, making it hard for me to envision the incredible world that he created. It took me a while to really get into the story because I felt that most of the beginning of the book was dedicated to descriptions. But once the dialogue took over and I got to dive in to the meat of the characters the story took off. There was a brief confusion during a few chapters where I was trying to figure exactly which character's POV I was reading from.

All that aside, this book really delivers an incredible world that definitely shows the darker side to some of my most loved supernatural beings!!

Favorite Character Moment:
"His muscles were on fire. He felt like he was covered in nothing but wounds. Cross chopped and hacked in every direction. He swam in a field of meat....." (kindle, loc. 5315).

"Devouring worlds, one book and recipe at a time." 

No comments:

Post a Comment