Thursday, January 1, 2015

Top Te.... er, books of 2014


What a whirlwind year! When the year first started I had the crazy idea that I could read 150 books. Of course by June I quickly realized that wasn't going to happen. Did I change my goal? Of course not! It wasn't until October that I finally realized, like really realized that I would never reach my goal. So I changed it to 75. And now that I am sitting here looking at 2015... well close, it will be 2015 in exactly forty-two minutes, I can say that I read 69 books. That's a lot of books. No it's not what I wanted to accomplish, but it is till a lot of books. It is a lot journey's, adventures, heart break, love, and worlds. I have traveled to amazing places and through greater minds. This year has definitely been a good year for reading.

So here is my list of the top.... books of 2014. No I couldn't pick just 10, so just go with it. And don't even ask me to put them in order because I could no sooner pick my favorite star, or ice cream flavor.

In no particular order...
~Sweet Redemption and Sweet Requiem by Bailey Ardisone if you have ever been to this blog or have read my reviews of these books then this is a no brainer. From the second I entered the world with Nari, Mycah, and Rydan I was swept away in a world of magic, elves, and amazing characters! This book was everything that I wanted in an ending. It broke my heart and mended it completely. Simply put, it was perfection.


~From the Wreckage Series by Michele G Miller yes all of them. I have been a fan of Michele's since she first asked me to read her first book Never Let You Fall, but what she did with this series blew me away. There aren't words to describe the incredible story that she spun. The depth of the characters emotions, their pain, it was so real. I have never been so connected to characters like I was... no am to the ones in this series. I have never felt so much emotion and pain from any book let alone an entire series. But this one killed me and made me soar all at the same time. A beautiful wreckage.

~Vampire Down by Steven Montano What can I say about this book? It was the ending to an incredible series. A series in which my heart was in my throat the entire time. I had never seen an author be as brutal to his MC than Steven Montano. When I first started this series I loathed him for it. Believe me, we had many conversations about his treatment of his characters. But over time I began to understand it. Of course it didn't make reading it any easier and he broke my heart more than a time or two, but I knew why he did it. I accepted that it had to happen, his books were better for it too. Each and every one of them. And this book was no different. Steven Montano put his characters through the most incredible hell, but I can't help but love the way he does it, with such flare. What can I say, I'm a glutton for punishment. This book definitely punished, but it was also the explosive ending I had hoped for.

~Evernight and Everlasting by Candace Knoebel this series definitely took me by surprise. I thought I would like it, but I had no idea I would love it like I do. The story of Jaxen and Faye is one that immediately gripped my heart and soul. This story just sings to a believer in true love. This series gives me everything I desire... magic, action, sarcasm, love, and amazing characters and I know that I will be begging for more for many many years to come.

~Bad Blood by Nikki Jefford When Nikki Jefford started writing about vampire's and vampire hunters she turned the world on its head. Well at least for me she did. No one has ever written a story like these and I love every one of them. Not only does she put a great spin on vampire hunters, but she writes one hell of a kick butt main character... Aurora. Every book that Nikki publishes in this series makes me thirst for more!

~Wings of Lomay by Devri Walls Tears. That's the first thing I think of when I think of this book. No author has ever stomped on my heart like Devri did in this book. But she did it in such a beautiful way that I can't help but love her for it. I know why she did what she did and respect her for making the decision, but man she crushed me like never before. I seriously had to stop reading to collect myself. Hell I cried for a good week every time I thought about this book. Hands down emotional and amazing! AMAZING ending... beautiful, glorious, sad, magnificent, everything it needed to be.
  ~Dumb White Husbands vs. Zombies: The Zomnibus by Benjamin Wallace This was by far the funniest book I've read this year. Probably more than that. There is something about the way that Ben tells a story that makes it so real. There is so much of him in his books, his personality, and his humor. The characters in this book could easily be my next door neighbors. This is exactly how I imagine the zombie apocalypse going. Maybe not this hilarious, but pretty dang close. Definitely one of my favorites.
~Mythology: The Wicked by Helen Boswell Demons. Beautiful demons. Good demons. Is that even a thing? Well in this book it is. And boy does Helen know how to write beautiful demons. What else can I say besides... yum! And beautiful? Oh I know, this book, well Micah... makes dark and bad oh so good. :)
~Never Let You Go by Michele G Miller I was so happy to get this book. The way that Michele left my heart at the end of Never Let You Fall was just cruel, but trust me when I say it was nothing compared to what she did to me in this book. This book had me questioning everything. It also made me extremely pissed at Michele. She was ripping my heart out and I'm pretty sure she enjoyed every minute of it. She still holds my heart. And she will until I finally get closure... finally get my answers! I wonder, will she be the second author to crush my heart with glee? Have you seen that cover??? That guy.... Xander is pure awesomesauce! And yes one of the reasons I love this book.


~Penumbra by Logan Patricks When Logan Patricks first started this series he did something that I had never witnessed in a book. He completely took me by surprise and I'm pretty sure every other reader out there. There is something so incredible about the way he tells a story. I swear this should be a movie. I know that's how it plays in my mind. Everything is so real, vivid, that I'm right there. I felt everything these characters felt, everything. Logan completely took my breath away with this story and again left me flabbergasted and in shock. 





Through the Ever Night and Into the Still Blue by Veronica Rossi  Now I just read these books, and I do mean just read them so they are definitely fresh in my mind. I read Under the Never Sky almost a year ago and Through the Ever Night has been sitting on my shelf ever since. Don't ask me why it has been there this long because I loved, LOVED book 1. Any way I found it and devoured it in hours. I then ran to the nearest library and got Into the Still Blue man what an amazing series. Definitely the best dystopian series I have ever read! EVER! And it was definitely an excellent way to end my year.

And there you have it. My Favorite books of the year. Of course I read many excellent books, many. But these are the ones that continue to stick with me. The ones that I hold in my heart and the ones I will continue to carry with me.

So, what are your top books of 2014... or should I say were your top books?

2 comments:

  1. Great list! I have a few of these on my kindle and some others I've read part of the series for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I really enjoyed each of them. I think I may need to schedule some time to re-read them in fact!

      Which ones do you have??? I'm very curious. :)

      Delete